LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

I received 5 civil complaint summons for shoplifting in regular

I received 5 civil complaint summons for shoplifting in regular mail. I am scheduled to appear
at the same time for all 5 summons. The incidents go back to 5 days in June 2013.
In August 2013 the LP for the store called me and wanted to speak to me. He showed me about 30 seconds of video and asked if that was me. I told him that was NOT me. The police were not called and I was not asked to sign anything.I have never been arrested for shoplifting I do not even know what I was accused of taking. I never saw a police officer.
I just got the summmons in the mail.

What can I expect when I appear in Municipal Court
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. Are these from 5 separate incidents? Essentially, are there 5 different cases against you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes 5 different days in June of 2013

The first thing you need to decide is if you want to contest and fight these charges, making the State prove them against you, beyond a reasonable doubt or if you want to try and resolve the case, with a plea. Seeing how there are 5 charges, you can see if they would be willing to dismiss a few if you took a plea and/or if there was any diversion program you could enter,to get the cases dismissed. Seeing how there were 5 different instances, diversion may not be offered. If you never took anything, you have nothing to worry about. If there is a video, it will be up to the Judge or Jury to decide if you are the person in the video, seen taking the items. You can also raise an alibi, if you were at a different time and place at the time in question and have a witness testify to the same. If you take a plea deal, you could be looking at a probationary sentence, along with a fine, court costs and restitution.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.