Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

"is it legal for a judge to be a lawyer in Oklahoma"? I had

"is it legal for a judge to be a lawyer in Oklahoma"?
I had a small clams suite against someone and there lawyer is a city judge here and some towns around here, I lost!

Thelawman2 :

Oklahoma Rules of Judicial Conduct would prohibit a judge from acting as a lawyer. Specifically, the rules state "A judge shall not practice law. Notwithstanding, a judge may, without compensation, give legal advice to and draft or review documents for a member of the judge's family." However, if the judge is only a part-time judge, then they are able to practice law as long as they don't practice law in the same court where the judge serves.

Customer:

I do not know if he is part time I just know he does the traffic court and city court. Would this mean he was in the same court that he is a judge in and what should I do sense I lost my case because a judge will not make judgement against a judge

Thelawman2 :

It would depend on whether the traffic court and the city court are in the same building staffed by the same judges. If not, then if he was a part-time judge, then it would be permitted.

Thelawman2 :

What you would need to do is make a complaint with the Council of Judicial Complaints. You can contact them at the following location:

Thelawman2 :

1901 North Lincoln Boulevard
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
(405)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>Toll Free in State(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>Fax(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer:

Thank you