Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I wrote a book about how I overcame emotional eating in involves

I wrote a book about how I overcame emotional eating in involves my abusive family. My mother is dead now, played a big part in the abuse and neglect, brother molested me, he died as well. But I have a lot of anger and resentment from family regarding the book. Can the sue me for telling my story? It is true, all facts, but they are saying if I publish it they will sue me so I have a lot of trepidation.

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : As long as the information is true, then there should be no grounds for you to be sued.
Roger : The only way that you could be sued is by knowingly making false statements about them in an attempt to harm their reputation.

so even if I tell how cruel she was to me and no matter how harsh it sounds, as long as it's true she can't sue me. She says if I make her look bad I am maligning her character and she will sue me

Roger : You're entitled to give your OPINION and you're entitled to state the facts. As long as you are not knowingly telling a lie, you can't be sued for defamation.

okay, thank you so much. that is a relief to me. I appreciate your help

Roger : Sure. Glad to assist.