Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

Hello, My girlfriend and I broke up, is it possible for me

My girlfriend and I broke up, is it possible for me to get paid from her for all the cabinets I put in her house over the 2 years together. I was doing it for our future and she decided to break it off cause she found another guy. I ran the cabinets thru my cabinet business and feel it is only right she pay for them now. I finished up the last project after we were broke up. Just curious if i have any recourse for improving her house for her at my expense.
She says i did it all for free, but paid the busines 350 for material for one project.
appreciate any advice, so I can get counsel here in Green Bay wi.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about thsi unfortunate situation.

Did you have any type of written agreement with your ex related to the work you have done or any type or repayment obligation for such work by your ex?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I was doing it becuase we were in relationship. She told me over last 4 months she wanted to pay for this or that cause she didnt want any hard feelings if somethiing happened. Well, I learned a lesson here.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, without any type of written agreement which would state that your ex was obligated to pay you back for any work / material installed, unfortunately such work while in a relationship would be considered a gift under the law and I am afraid someone in a situation similar to yours would not have much of a legal recourse to recover any money for the work done, even though it was based on the expectation that relationship would last.

I know this is not an answer you were hoping to hear, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Not a problem. She has invoice which means I can write it off as a loss regardless if she pays or not.

I base all of my work on zero contracts, I am too trusting of a guy. have never been burned till her.

thanks for the advice.

eric

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required