Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
54899578

I live in texas and am in the process of getting a divorce

I live in texas and am in the process of getting a divorce after 8 years of marriage, she is the one that walked out and also the one who filed for divorce. my question is about inheritance and divorce. I inherited land from my mother that my mother had signed a lease for a gas well on the property but she passed away and an amendment was done to the lease because I was the owner after my mothers passing. is my soon to be ex-wife entitled to half of the royalty money from this lease even though the land and royalty money was kept as my separate property and money from the community money? all the savings/checking/ royalties from the gas well were kept separate from the marital money and her name was never added to any of it so is she entitled to any of my inheritance?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

No, Texas is a community property state, and any property that is inherited is the property of the spouse who inherited the property alone.

Your ex-wife would not be entitled to any of the money from the inherited land or the inherited land itself.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, PLEASE remember to rate my answer POSITIVELY (Excellent Service) so I get credit for my work. I put significant time and effort into my answers, and DON’T receive anything for my work unless you rate my answer positively. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit. Please also rate me highly (10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

-Joseph