Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I live in a townhouse in a Homeowner Association complex with

I live in a townhouse in a Homeowner Association complex with 16 other units. I have been playing catch with my dog without a leash in the common areas. I have a friendly gentle dog and no one has been harmed. The Association has not established rules regarding whether or not dogs are to be on leashes when in community property. One of my neighbors complained and threatened to call the police. The police said they would investigate if there is a complaint. Can my neighbor call the police when there is no violation of Homeowner Association rules? Can the police ticket me when the dog is on private property? What recourse do I have to keep the neighbor from calling the police? Could this be considered harassment? I have asked for a mediation meeting with the Homeowner Association and the neighbor, and am awaiting a reply.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, the dogs do have to be leashed when in public or on common grounds of an HOA, even if the rules do not specifically require it and police can in fact interfere and issue a criminal citation if the dog is not on the leash, even if the dog is without a leash in the common area of the HOA.

So basically, the dog can be unleashed on your private property, as long as, it is secured by the fence and the dog cannot access common grounds, but the dog has to be kept on the lease in any common area of the HOA.

I know this is not an answer you were hoping for, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even if my answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck!