How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam , Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27000
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in Powder Springs, GA and want to find the best way

This answer was rated:

We live in Powder Springs, GA and want to find the best way to get our adult son out of our house. We have been advised that the best way is to follow the eviction process. We no longer have a relationship with him. He has lost job after job, is on drugs, built up financial obligations, and makes our life impossible on a daily basis. I called the police and they advised me that they could not get him out because there were no drugs found on him, even thought they indicated he was high on something. He is verbably abusive constantly. He is a threat to our safety, goes in out at all hours of the night and leaves our doors open. Also he has brought people into our house while we were sleeping without our permission. We have talked to him over and over and he ignores everything. There is no reasoning with him. He has a past history of using drugs and gambling and feel he is endangering our lives because of the people he is associating with. He is a mess, does not have any upkeep, his bedroom and bathroom are always unkempt, despite requests to clean his act up. His car looks like a trash dump. We need your advice. Thank you.


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard

I am sorry that your are enduring this situation

I suggest that you will have to go through the eviction process.

However, while that is taking place, I also suggest you can go to the Magistrate or District Court Commission in your county and request a Restraining Order. You will need to state that he is a threat to your wellbeing and that you are fearful of him - you can state specifically that he brings strangers into your home while you are asleep, etc. And that you are afraid and fearful for your safety

To begin the eviction process, you have to deliver to him a Notice to Vacate within 30 days. That has to be mailed to him Certified with Return Receipt Requested to show he got the Notice

While you are at the Magistrate's office for the Restraining Order tell them you also are going to evict him and mailing his Notice to Vacate, and will be needing a dispossessory warrant

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated

Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27000
Experience: More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Sam and 13 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answers. Can you clarify a few items in your response.


What is a dispossessory warrant?


Who issues the notice to vacate within 30 days?


Is it the court after we file the eviction or do we have to compose a notice and send it to him certified mail?


What if he does not respond to the certified notice, meaning he is not there to receive it and does not pick it up?


Thank you


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I don't have time to wait for Sam to get back online.


I am here. And I apologize for the delay in this response. I had an inner office meeting I had to attend

The warrant will be the courts notice of your son to come to court for the eviction hearing. This is issued after YOU and your spouse have given the Notice to Vacate by certified mail to your son. Both of you must sign this

If he ignores the letter, then I suggest you have him served by a Private Process Server who will hand him the letter and attest that he got it.

Again, I apologize for the delay in this response

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions