Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.

At my work place, my room has been accused of being a "harsh"

At my work place, my room has been accused of being a "harsh" work environment by one of the employees that works in the same room. He is basically disgruntled because he cannot perform the job and is looking for ways to screw us. So after he talked with the office administrators, they have installed a baby monitor in our room to monitor all conversations. I am not 100% sure if the conversations are recorded or not but I'm sure I can find out. I was not even at work when they made this decision and I totally am against it. I know that the 2 other guys are against it but the guy that went to the office admin is probably all for it, but... that I don't know for sure either. I know NC is an at will work state but this kind of thing just feels really wrong. Any advice on this?
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard

There is no "expectation of privacy" at the work area and so there is nothing illegal about the monitor.

I further suggest that such recording or monitoring would not be allowed in places such as rest rooms, locker rooms as there is an "expectation of privacy" in those areas

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

So even if they are recording the conversation in a manner to incriminate someone, that would still be ok?

Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.
Hello

To record, they need the permission of At Least one party to the conversation.

So if the Disgruntled employee has given persmission that would be all they would need
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Again I don't fully know if they have agreed to recording but lets say they did. Could one change their mind about such a thing?

Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.
Hello

You mean if the disgruntled employee gave permission to record and now decides they dont want to happen

Yes, they can change their mind. I am sure that the permission is in writing somewhere and all they have to do is tell the employer they are rescinding the permission to record.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok... thanks for all the great information.

Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.
Hello

You are welcome

And good luck
Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.