Have Legal Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.
2 vehicle car collision caused telephone pole to break- wires come down and burn down small repair shop and some damage to neighboring house, in which the owner of shop lived. Shop is 100% UNINISURED. House was. House uninhabitable- smoke damage. Vehicle responsible for collision had 25,000 liability. Under homeowners insurance "loss of use" which has $28,000 coverage, what can be used, bought and be covered? Also can electrical provider be held liable for lines comming down?
2 vehicle car collision caused telephone pole to break- wires come down and burn down small repair shop and some damage to neighboring house, in which the owner of shop lived. Shop is 100% UNINISURED. So he will want to make a claim against the car drivers. Both. The jury will decide which one was responsible and / or if one is 10% responsible, the other 90%. House was. At least, thank goodness.
House uninhabitable- smoke damage. Vehicle responsible for collision had 25,000 liability. Pretty low, that is a shame.Under homeowners insurance "loss of use" which has $28,000 coverage, what can be used, bought and be covered? That will depend on your policy. Read all the definitions of what exactly you purchased. You then submit what you understand to be covered by what you bought - and the company will tell you if it agrees with your claim or not. You can also speak to the adjuster and discuss the items you are concerned about. But here is generally how it works and what is covered under "loss of use".
You will want to look to see about things OTHER THAN loss of use, such as contents - did he get coverage for such damages?
Also can electrical provider be held liable for lines comming down? Generally, only if you can find some action or omission where the electical provider was negligent and that negligence caused the damages. We know that it is likely that at least one car driver was negligent - it would be more remote that the electical provider had anything negligent to do with it, but it is possible I suppose. For instance, let's say it had negligently allowed some too-low-hanging wires to remain as such - which caused them to go lower when the pole was hit, causing the electrocution to occur that would not have occurred, even with the collision, had the wires been properly fixed/re-situated.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Alexia Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Your online legal resource!
Nyseg- electrical provider, took over 1 hr to turn off power.- firefighters are witnesses. Power was zapping place sparking numerous fires. Nyseg said they didnt get call to turn it off right away. Could county be held liable for not forwarding the called to them which was called in to 911 right away? roughly 100 firefighters responded- about $500,000 damages, customers cars, parts, supplies, 2 story garage, sheds, ect..
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).