Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

When I was 17 a friend altered my birth certificate to make

When I was 17 a friend altered my birth certificate to make it appear that I was 18 so I could get a drivers license. My husband was in the military and I needed to drive when he was out to sea. That was 45 years ago and now I need to get a passport, but my drivers license and birth certificate date of birth are not the same. I have no police or criminal record, but I am fearful of going to the Washington state DOL to ask for a correction on my license. What should I do?

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : This should not be a real big issue so long as your original birth certificate is correct. You would likely need to get a certified copy of your birth certificate from the state and use that to make the change to your license.
Roger : The reason for the error could be a simple clerical error that occurred along the way - - so you wouldn't have to admit to this occurring.
Customer:

Yes, I got a certified birth certificate.

Roger : Ok. In that case, it shouldn't be a complicated matter. You would just present your birth certificate to the DOL, bring the incorrect birth date to their attention and ask that they issue a new license.
Customer:

So what should I do?

Customer:

So they will not bring charges?

Roger : The statute of limitations has likely long since passed for something that occurred 45 years ago.
Roger : Also, you don't have to admit to any wrongdoing.
Roger : All you have to do is say that your birthday is XXXXX and ask that you be issued a new license to reflect the correct date of birth.
Customer:

I thought so too, but I was hoping an attorney would know for sure.

Roger : All criminal charges in Washington State have a 2-5 year statute of limitations (http://statelaws.findlaw.com/washington-law/washington-criminal-statute-of-limitations-laws.html), so you're way past that.
Roger : Some felony charges have longer statutes of limitation, but they're not applicable to yo.
Customer:

OK thanks. I will go to DOL and ask for a new license. I'm still a little nervous, but I will go.

Roger : I understand that you're nervous, but there should be nothing to worry about. It's not likely that they'll even question you about the errror.
Roger : *error.
Customer:

I will do the rating.