Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I own my own condo. My sister moved in with me last March (2013).

I own my own condo. My sister moved in with me last March (2013). There was no deposit, no lease. She has always paid her rent on time. However, my circumstances have changed. I need to sell and move soon. I will need to tell her to find another to look for another place. I realize that this is a inconvience for her and I explained I could make it up to her somehow. I thought I could give her a months free rent to help ease her change. However, I also thought I could be missing other legalities.
Any help?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If your sister has no lease, all you need to do is give her 30 days written notice to quit the premises. That is all you are lawfully entitled to do--you do not have to give her money or ease her out of the premises. As a responsible sibling you may choose to do so, absolutely, but under Florida law a 30 day written notice is sufficient. That is because someone without a lease is considered to be a month-to-month tenant and is therefore granted a month's notice before any change to terms takes place. That is all you lawfully have to accomplish, but if you wish to give her money to help her out, you are absolutely free to do so.

Hope that helps.