Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

FL residency fiscal benefits/liabilities: I have an option

FL residency fiscal benefits/liabilities: I have an option of state residency in FL...currently in NH. What financial benefits might there be as a FL resident...and what limitations? thanks....dl
Expert:  Joseph replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Both New Hampshire and Florida have no income tax, so while that is a definite benefit of being a Florida resident, it is not one that you personally would experience as a 'benefit' since New Hampshire has no state income tax either.

The only primary difference is that Florida has a six percent sales tax, while there is no sales tax in New Hampshire. So, as far as financial benefits go, less of your money would go to taxes in New Hampshire than in Florida actually. (Part of the reason why 'live free or die' is their state motto).

Is there something else you meant by 'fiscal benefits and liabilities'?

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, PLEASE remember to rate my answer POSITIVELY (Excellent Service) so I get credit for my work. I put significant time and effort into my answers, and DON’T receive anything for my work unless you rate my answer positively. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit. Please also rate me highly (10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

-Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you, Joseph. I'm aware of the sales tax difference which is consumption locale oriented rather than residency.

And perhaps it is pushing my question too far but I understand there is some RE tax reduction for residents...whether on a single or multiple houses I don't know...and if there is an upper limit? An other equivalent benefits?

And not in the fiscal side but I also understand that estate executors must be FL residents for estates settled in FL....correct?

Anything else in that vein? thanks.....dl

Expert:  Joseph replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately, both those questions are outside of my realm of knowledge, as the first one is a real estate question, and the second an estate question.

You should open those in the two categories respectively for expert information.

I can ask customer service to cancel this question if you'd like.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. Your previous expert has opted out and I am a different contributor looking forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

FL has what is called a homestead exemption for FL residents where the home is their primary residence. All legal Florida residents are eligible for a Homestead Exemption on their homes, condominiums, co-op apartments, and certain mobile home lots if they qualify. The Florida Constitution provides this tax-saving exemption on the first and third $25,000 of the assessed value of an owner/occupied residence. Thus, your homestead exemption means if your home is worth $100,000, you have an exemption from taxes on $50,000.

As far as an executor of an estate in Fl, they must be either a Florida resident or related to the decedent, within the prescribed range, by blood or marriage. Also, FL rules of probate provide if there is more than one heir or beneficiary an attorney is required to probate the estate.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law