Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

A resident of new jersey had stalked me in Chicago in 1992

A resident of new jersey had stalked me in Chicago in 1992 and again recently in 2008.
I filled a police report in illinois in 2008

At the same time in 2008, he stalked my son, then 24 in New Hampshire. A letter by his lawyer was sent to this person to cease but he continued.

New Hamshire police and the university/campus police sent a joint letter of Cease and Desist/ Do not tresspass to the stalker, in 2009

The harrassment was in the form of emails, certified mails, letters to our workmates,school and telephone calls through his friends.

Since the joint NH police/campus police mail, he has not made any more contact, since 2009.

However, I feel violated and desirous of seeking legal redress/compensation.

I would like to sue( civil) in the state of Illinois. What is the law on stalking for victims in illinois and the staue of limitations?

Can you give a referral to an experienced law firm who deals with matters of this nature in Chicago?

Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
I need to ask a few questions before I can comment on your legal position.
Was the person ever charged with any type of crime like stalking or harassment?
Did anyone ever file for a restraining order or no contact order for no communication or was it just the cease and desist letters?
Did any of these actions after 2008 occur in Illinois?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

-he was not charged. He called the NH police to plead on telephone just before a warrant for his arrest was to be issued and promised never to repeat. However , the letter to Cease and desist was sent to him via New Jersey police delivery.

no . i or my son did not file for a court order. only a lawyers letter and cease and desist letter from NH police/campus police

Some of the letters and police calls were sent/made to illinois. others to NH.

all originated in NJ.

Ok, thank you for that information. I am afraid that I do not have very good news for you... Since he was never charged criminally, your only recourse would have been to file a civil suit under a harassment theory, which could have been easily proven. The problem is that harassment is a "tort" much like personal injury and the statute of limitations in IL is only 2 years from the date of the occurrence for someone to file civil suit. (735 ILCS 5/13/202) So the time to take any civil action in IL would have passed.
NH has a 3 year statute of limitations on tort actions under NH Statutes 508:4. So unfortunately that would have run as well to file suit in NH for the person's actions.
At this point, I am afraid that there is not any legal grounds for a civil action at this point due to the statues of limitations expiring in both states where the harassment and stalking occurred.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.