Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Will my social security disability continue if i am receiving

Will my social security disability continue if i am receiving income from a rental property?

Roger :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.

Roger :

Generally, income from a rental property is considered unearned income. This is because the individual is not actively engaged in producing the income. Instead, rental properties are usually placed in the hands of rental agents and the check is forwarded to the individual. In this type of scenario, the rent would be considered unearned.

Roger :

The SSDI program does not put a limit on the amount of assets or unearned income you have. Thus, your "unearned" rental income should not affect your benefits.

Roger :

The Social Security Administration does put a limit on the amount of money that you can earn through work when you receive Social Security disability benefits, because if you can earn an income, you aren't considered disabled.

Roger :

In 2013, the amount is $1,040 for disabled applicants.

Roger :

Here's a good link from the SSA that outlines income from rental properties is considered to be unearned:

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful. Is income from trading considered a earned income?

Stock investment income should also be considered unearned income and should not count against you.