P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

Is it okay to send a letter threatening a law suit? Im not

Is it okay to send a letter threatening a law suit? I'm not wanting to say that I am actually going to, but I want to say, "I understand I have the option of pursuing this legally for compensatory damages." I also want to acknowledge that I know he lied to the Board of Registration about the allegations in my complaint. ("We both know you lied and are guilty of unprofessional conduct..") since that isn't an actual crime. It is grounds for discipline by the Board but not a criminal offense.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, why would you do this...that is, why send the letter? What are you hoping to achieve?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It's my husband who wants to send it. He wants some things off his chest and wants to make the chiropractor squirm a little. He has never met or spoken with him before through all this (1 year it took to file and recieve the Board's decision) has wanted to tell him a thing or two. The chiropractor was sexually inappropriate in person and online. My husband read all of the inappropriate texts, emails, fb messages. We just read the public record of the case. He (through his attorney) denied everything. All allegations are true and he knows it.

Thank you

A letter from your spouse to this person? What you describe? That is not breaking any rules or regulations.

Not sure if it would accomplish your goal. Typically I recommend that if a person wants to obtain a particular result (eg scare another person into believing that a law suit is pending) I recommend they have an attorney send the letter. This is called a demand letter, sent by an attorney, promising suit if particular action is not taken.

A letter written by a non attorney, promising suit, typically carries far less weight.

But as far as legality...can he do this? Sure...what you describe he can let this fellow know is is considering a law suit. THat is not illegal and does not violate any other rules

P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience: 16 yrs. of trial experience