Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My sister-in-law had a major stroke over a year ago. Not sure

My sister-in-law had a major stroke over a year ago. Not sure of all details. But have been waiting for over a year for disability and Medicare. Now the care home is kicking her out.her daughter cannot care for her. What can be done. Bankruptcy . What is the next steps.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

She should have been applying for medicaid to get extended care. Her daughter should be applying for her and she needs to go to social services to get the medicaid approved now that it is really being needed.

Bankruptcy does not solve the problem of her needing extended care, that is a medicaid issue.

Also, someone needs to get guardianship over her if the daughter does not have a PoA and this is done by needing a local attorney to file a petition for guardianship in the court and produce medical evidence of her mental and physical incapacity to care for her own affairs and the court would place the daughter or whoever can manage her affairs as guardian and they can act for the sister in laws benefit in getting medicaid and any other decisions that have to be made.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.