Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My husband and I were married in Nevada in 1999. We lived in

My husband and I were married in Nevada in 1999. We lived in Arizona for a few years and then he decided to leave me and flew to the Philippines to be with a young Philippino girl as his new "friend". I am now living in Washington State with my son since June 14, 2013. My husband left me with nothing other than my SS check and retirement check. He has not been paying his bills, due to being out of country, and they are now trying to track him down. If my name is XXXXX XXXXX the account, am I legally responsible for paying off his debts? I also want to know how to go about divorcing him. He has sent messages that he is now "ENGAGED" to his young friend. What am I capable of doing to separate myself from him and his debts?
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

I suggest that you can file for a divorce in the county and state you live in. Tell the clerk you need to file and have no idea where the spouse is. The clerk will provide an Affidavit for you to file so that you can then serve him by Publication meaning in your local newspaper. But you have to file the Affidavit.

I suggest if you are not on his debts and it cannot be proved that you benefited from any of the purchases that you cannot be held responsible for his debts.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Regarding his debts, how do I prove that I am not responsible for them or did not benefit from them? If I do contact the creditors, won't they try to make me pay them due to being community property? That is what I am afraid of! I believe that he deliberately may have put my name on accounts without my knowledge.

Hello

You have no obligation to contact the creditors

If your name is XXXXX XXXXX accounts and you have no knowledge and have been separated from him and have no idea where he is that is fraud on his part.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One last question: He is also on SS. Supposedly he has not been able to receive it down in the country where he is. Do I have a legal obligation to receive a portion of his SS amount if he left me with no support at all? I do not know if he also receives a pension amount from his past employer. As far as I know, he is not receiving any monetary amounts where he is now. Thank you for your help in this situation!

Hello

It appears he has simply Dropped out.

You may apply for SS when eligible based on his salary if you are of age. I suggest that when you file for the divorce you could request a part of the pension, but you would need to know where he is so that you can serve him and file Discovery to see what that pension is and how much you would be entitled to

In other words, if it not something you are going to be able to do if you cannot contact him and simply want to file for a divorce based on separation and a Service by Publication.

Also, you should contact you local SS agency to discuss what, if anything, you are entitled to.