John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

Will I receive a portion of my exs social security ALONG with

Will I receive a portion of my ex's social security ALONG with my own after 13.5 yrs of marriage. I recently took a workshop that went over I would receive my own social security and a portion of his when I decide to retire. MY sisters insist I can't double dip with S.S..Please send me an answer along with something I can read up on S.S.and divorce benefits!
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately you cannot receive both benefits at the same time. You can claim on your ex husband's record after you turn 62 1/2 and receive 1/2 of his benefit if he is deceased or already claiming social security. This allows you to defer your benefit. The longer you defer your benefit (up to age 70) the larger your benefit will be when you elect to stop claiming on your ex's record and claim your full benefit.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,