Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I read that in 2006 a law was passed making it legal to perform

I read that in 2006 a law was passed making it legal to perform massages on animals without the supervision of a veterinarian. I am interested in starting a business doing canine massage and wanted to make sure it would be legal. However, I have not been able to find any verification of this 2006 law change that specifically addresses massage for pets. Is there a specific statute that addresses my question?

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : There was a law passed in 2006 that allows animal/pet massages. Bear with me and I'll try to find a link to the law.
Roger : The law was couched under terms of "animal husbandry" and allows non-veterinarians to perform massage and other types of therapy. The new language is under Chapter 474.203 (5) (b), Florida Statutes. The exemption from the Veterinary Practice Act reads as follows: Exemptions: (b) A person hired on a part-time or temporary basis, or as an independent contractor, by an owner to assist with herd management and animal husbandry tasks for herd and flock animals, including castration, dehorning, parasite control, and debeaking, or a person hired on a part-time or temporary basis, or as an independent contractor, by an owner to provide farriery and manual hand floating of teeth on equines.
Roger : Here's a link to the law: http://www.faaor.org/florida_law_2007.html#exemptions
Roger : (5)(b) is the relevant portion of the statute.
Roger : How a massage relates to animal husbandry doesn't make much practical sense, but that's how it was passed through.