CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My sister owes back taxes and Credit card debt that her ex

My sister owes back taxes and Credit card debt that her ex husband rack up in her name. She has been named durable power of attorney for our elderly mother. Can the IRS or credit card collects put a lien on our mothers estate assests?

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you today.

William B. Esq. :

No, there cannot be a lien on your mother's estate, these assets do not belong to your sister even if she has durable power of attorney to assist your mother in managing these assets.

William B. Esq. :

The relationship is governed by the following code section: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=11.94

William B. Esq. :

And the section regarding the scope and limitation of the duties and obligations (as well as interest in the estate - there is none established solely by being power of attorney), can be found here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=11.94.050

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

this is not a subscription right? just a pay per question.

William B. Esq. :

I believe you have signed up for the pay per question only (I do not have the billing information, that is held by the service). You can contact the Customer Service email to confirm, but they work very hard to ensure that you get only what you intended to sign up for.

Customer:

thank you