Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
14472836

I have been working with Freedom Debt Relief. I let them know

I have been working with Freedom Debt Relief. I let them know that a law firm was saying they were going to take legal action on two of the accounts. Both of these had sent a letter with a amount they would settle for. It was an unbelievable amount and I immediately sent the copy of these letters to them. Nothing was done and now I have 2 Civil Summons. I am not sure what to do. I am suppose to answer these summons. I am not sure how to do this. I don't know how to answer this and was wondering if you think I would need to hire a lawyer. I don't have a lot of money otherwise I wouldn't have contacted Freedom Debt Relief. If you feel contacting an lawyer is necessary how much will it cost. I am from North Carolina.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

If you cannot properly answer the summons you should hire an attorney to help you respond. Failing to answer a summons is the WORST thing you can do because it allows the lender to get a default judgment and proceed to judgment and collection much faster. Typically faster than a debt relief company can react. Making sure you respond in a timely manner to the summons/complaint should be a top priority.

I am not familiar with what attorneys charge in you area. It I had to guess you are looking a about $2000.00 for them to handle the cases. To engage counsel to help answer the summons only probably a few hundred dollars.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you. Can you tellme if I will have to go to Court on this matter?

Yes, if a settlement is not reached before the first court date. The summons should indicate when the answer is due. Once you reply/answer you will get a court date for a pre-trial hearing (sometimes the initial hearing is included in the summons you should read it carefully). If a settlement is completed the plaintiff will dismiss the case.