John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.

Under Wisconsin law is a general release of all claims applicable

Under Wisconsin law is a general release of all claims applicable to existing claims the releasing party is unaware of ? What case or statute supports your answer?
Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

In the instance wherein the release was mutually agreed to - that is to say both parties reviewed the agreement and had the ability to accept or reject the agreement - then the releasing party would be bound to the release of all claims including unknown claims. See Kohlbeck v. Village of Pulaski. An exception may be that the parties were mutually mistaken as to all current claims or that a party obtained the release by fraudulently hiding a current potential claim to the detriment of the releasing party, in which the agreement is voidable by the parties or releasing party. See Gielow v. Napiorkowski.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.