Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Facts 1. A Class A felony was committed in 1986 2. Statute

1. A Class A felony was committed in 1986
2. Statute of limitations to prosecute a Class A felony at that time was 6 years
3. I 1990 the statute of limitations was amended from 6 years to 20 years
4. A state prosecuted a crime in 1997 for a crime committed 11 years earlier when the statute of limitations were in force when the crime was committed would have expired in 1992

I am presuming this would violate the ex post facto clause of the US Constitution. If I am correct could you provide any pertinent case law preferably US Supreme Court or Federal District Court decisions that would support mu ex post facto argument?

Thank you
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes you are seeking.

I am very sorry to say that you are not correct in that the statute of limitations, unlike other types of law changes, would not give rise to the ex post facto defense here, especially since the SOL was changed while your offense was still in the original statute of limitations. Had they enacted the law to extend the SOL AFTER your original SOL expired, you would have had an ex post facto argument.

The US Supreme Court held, "A law enacted after expiration of a previously applicable limitations period violates the Ex Post Facto Clause when it is applied to revive a previously time-barred prosecution." See: STOGNER v. CALIFORNIA, 539 U.S. 607 (2003).

Your argument would be absolutely correct had the statute of limitations already expired before the new law went into effect and that is exactly what the Stogner Court said in their case.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.