Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

I owe a commercial warehouse for 14 years and have rented it

I owe a commercial warehouse for 14 years and have rented it out for that period of time . I found out there is a environmental problem. Is the broker who leased the property, or the tenant, or landlord responsible for the cost of removing the matter?

Mary

Good morning and Thank you for your question, My Name is Andrea and I will glad to help with your question, but need a bit more information, if you do not mind,

1. You have owned the property for 14 years ?

2. Could you be a bit more specific about the type of environmental problem that exists?

3. How long has the environmental problem existed ?

4. Do you know who caused the environmental problem ?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know the extent of the environmental issue.

It was discovered when a potential buyer had a survey done.

Then it was learned that the former owner had a mechanical shop on

the property

Thank you for your additional information, Mary,

Where an environmental problem exists on property, the responsibility for correcting the problem would rest with the tenant, if the tenant did anything that caused the environmental problem. But, if the tenant did nothing to cause the environmental problem, then the tenant would not have the responsibility of correcting it. If the broker had no reason to know about the environmental problem and had no responsibility to order a survey, then he or she would have no obligation to do anything to eliminate the environmental problem. The owner of the property would have the obligation to do whatever was necessary to eliminate the environmental property,

I realize that parts of my Answer were not entirely what you were hoping for, and it would have given me great pleasure to have given you the Answers you were hoping for, but I have an ethical obligation to you to give only correct Answers so that you can make informed decisions, so I am respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you not hold the law applicable to your situation against me,

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA