Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I have been off twice in the last two years (in the healthcare

I have been laid off twice in the last two years (in the healthcare field) and have had no insurance during that time. I have been paying cash for my medical needs since then. I take a cholesterol medication, for which my doctor has refused to renew until I made a visit. So I called for an appointment with him and was told that he no longer takes cash pay patients. I was told I would get a call from my doctor regarding this issue within 2 days, now it has been one week. So, I feel like I'm kind of screwed because I will have to find another doctor and go through all the screening to get my medications. In addition, I also take a medication for depression (for the last 20 years...never changing the dose) and I'm afraid that if it runs out, I might sink back in to a depression that will keep me from being able to function properly. Any advice?
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, what ideally do you wish to accomplish? I am assuming that your care, while obviously extremely important to you, is not emergency based and not directly life saving on an immediate level. I ask to best to figure out doctor responsibilities and your own options. Please advise.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just wish to renew my cholesterol medication, and possibly my depression medication in the future..and not having to find a new doctor to go through all the assessments.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, you have not responded.

Susan,

Thank you for your follow-up. If you are not in an emergency situation a doctor has no legal duty to take you on as a patient or to see you. He or she only has a duty to provide care if the care is emergency based or is immediately life-threatening. Therefore you cannot directly compel your current doctor to give you the script if she no longer takes cash patients. The only suggestion here if you want to stay with this doctor is to either appeal to her and ask for an exception to her rule, or obtain some sort of insurance coverage that she is going to accept. But legally there is no court order or demand letter that you could send to her that would make or compel her to treat and see you if she no longer accepts patients for cash--and as she is not violating the law with such conditions (if she did I would tell you), your options are fairly limited.

I am sorry, I truly am, but I have to be honest with you. Please do not blame the messenger if the answer is not quite what you may have hoped for in this instance. Please take care.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your quick reply. I think I'm between a rock and a hard place right now. Can't sign up for Obamacare due to the website errors...will sign up when I can, but don't agree with the entire process!

Susan,

You and me both--I have been trying to sign up since day 1 not because I agree with the process but because I am likewise self-insured, and it has been a nightmare. (And I wanted to learn the process a bit better in case others have questions). One suggestion I may have is to contact insurers directly and ask them for their health exchange plans--you can sign up through them if needed, and shop around that way since the current site is a terrible disaster.

Good luck to you!