Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.

Issued a criminal citiation in arizona for dog on run. My

Issued a criminal citiation in arizona for dog on run. My 75 year old father was helping remove halloween decorations and did not double check to see if the gate latch caught. My dog heard two dogs walking by on leash by owners and ran out after them. My neighbor saw what happened. The dogs were sniffing each other and the owner started yelling and called her husband. My son came out as the dog was running after the dogs which were running toward their home. The husband met my dog with a weapon (stick of some sort and hit and kicked the dog). My son caught the dog and was holding him on the sidewalk. Words were exchanged by the husband who said my son verbally threatened his life after he also made threatening comments to him that he was going to use the weapon and to get off his property. My son was on the sidewalk in front of the home and the owner kept telling him to walk on his property. When I heard all the noise I started running toward the area and the husband was on the phone calling 911 saying that his wife and dogs were being bitten and attacked as he spoke and that he was being threatened by by son. (which was not happening as he was talking to 911 - I was there listening to his description)I asked the wife if she was OK and if she was bitten, she said no and I asked about her two dogs and she said they had bite marks. I told her if she needed to take them to the vet to send me the bill. I appologized and left. The police officer said they saw no bite marks on the dogs or owner. Do I need to get a lawyer involved? Also the dog pound came to my house when I was not there and told my mom they needed to talk to me. They never showed. I have had the dog for six years and has never accidently got out before? The dog does not have current tags. Do I need to get a lawyer involved???
Expert:  Jack R. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

It would be worthwhile to consult an attorney. A violation for allowing your dog to run loose can have a hefty fine and potential jail time In Arizona all dogs must be leashed and kept under control when not properly contained. Violators may receive a notice, written warning or citation, which is a class one misdemeanor with a maximum $2500 fine, 6 months in jail,or both. An attorney can work with the prosecutor to establish this was a one time incident, accidental and that a minimum fine should be imposed. It is possible the an Attorney could convince a Judge to let you off with a warning (although I suspect you will get a fine + court costs).

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Do you have any attorneys in Arizona or zip code 85340? The citiation I got says criminal not misdemeanor. You do recommend an attorney???

Expert:  Jack R. replied 9 months ago.
Criminal means a crime punishable as a felony or misdemeanor. I do recommend an attorney because of the potential for jail time, and a neighbor that could testify as a witness against you who will paint a nasty picture of what happened. It is possible that avoiding a fine could cover what the attorney cost would be. While I find that jail time is an unlikely outcome the potential is something you do not want to risk on your own. Even if you do not choose direct representation consulting with an attorney can help you prepare if you want to go it yourself.

Here is a link to an attorney directory:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/state/Arizona?DCMP=GOO-DIR_AttorneyStatesBMM-Arizona&HBX_PK=AZ+attorneys

Jack R., Attorney
Experience: OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.