Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

My boyfriends mother has helped him out on buying a house.

My boyfriend's mother has helped him out on buying a house. He is making the payments to his mother for the house. (not sure if she put the house in her name or his) She informed me today that she has filed criminal trespassing against me and that I am not allowed on my boyfriend's property. Does she have the right to file criminal trespassing against me, even though my boyfriend is paying for the house, which she does not live in (only him), just because she does not want me to live with her son?

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

Is his name on the deed? Is her's?

Customer:

im not sure

Dwayne B. :

Anyone has the "right" to file criminal charges against someone else, however if your boyfriend owns the home or even lives there then he can give you permission to be there regardless of what his mother says.

Customer:

even if her name is XXXXX XXXXX deed?

Dwayne B. :

She can certainly give you a warning but it doesn't mean its effective.

Dwayne B. :

Yes, he can still give you permission if he lives there.

Customer:

so i cannot be arrested if she is not the one that lives there and she calls the cops if she sees me there? I am legally okay to be there as long as my boyfriend says that i have permission?

Dwayne B. :

Yes, as long as your boyfriend gives you permission. What you may want to consider doing, just to head off any issues, is to get a lawyer to draft an affidavit for your boyfriend to sign stating that he lives there, is buying the house, and gives you permission to be there.

Customer:

ok. WONDERFUL! Thank u so much for this information!! It has helped me TREMENDOUSLY!!! I feel better now! Thanks again so very much!!

Dwayne B. :

You're very welcome. Anything else I can assist with?>

Customer:

that is it! U have certainly made my day!!

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR DWAYNE B” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.

Also, I’d ask you to consider issuing a high rating (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as that ensures I can continue to assist people in this category.