Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
19958803

Received a letter from Regions Bank (J.P. Morgan and Chase

Received a letter from Regions Bank (J.P. Morgan and Chase Bank) for my Banking Account that I had with them about 60+ days ago. No longer have an account with them currently.

The letter states the following in quotations in their exact wording.

"Recently, a regions associate inadvertently attached a data file containing some of your personal information to an email that was sent to three other customers. The information may have included your name, social security number, account number, email address and telephone number"

They go on to state that they are giving me a free 1 years worth of ProtectMyID Elite for free for any trouble caused. They also stated they do not know of any potential fraudulent activity on my account, yet I do not have a bank account with them anymore.

The facts are, they addressed letter to me, not all regions customers as a notice.
They admit guilt and are specific about a "data file"
As well as mentioning of 3 other customers.
They are vague as to what information of mine has been leaked.
Not to mention the letter sounds very generic when it comes to some wording. Such as having an account still when I have not had one with them for about 1 to 2 months.

About 30 to 60 days ago the bank severed ties with us, as to why they cut myself and my mother off was strange and was a local branch decision and not corporate until they complained enough to corporate. (Our words not theirs) We had done nothing illegal of any kind, and they simply were being very "wishy washy" about why we were no longer welcomed as customers.

They also held every single accounts funds for 14 business days, (All of our money we owned) including alot of social security disability which I did not believe they could keep for a limited amount of time then release in form of a check.

We have since received a check from the local branch back 14 days after the connection was cut off and we were no longer welcomed at the branch.

My mother had banked at the branch specifically as well as regions bank in general for about 25+ years or so.

I myself had banked with them for about 2-3 off and on trying out different banking services as I was never satisfied with their customer service.
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
I have read over your comments but am not quite sure what your legal question is that I can help with this evening..
.
If you can post your legal question, I will do what I can to help.
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Can any legal action be taken against Regions "J.P. Morgan and Chase Bank" for emotional damages as well as a violation of privacy for leaked personal information?

I ask mainly about the emotional damages because of the fact it left my mother and I with going to my grand mother and great aunt for some money to be given to us for us to be able to last the 14 business days it would take to receive the check.

The lady who is at our local branch also was extremely hostile and verbally abussive, I am high functioning autistic (mentally disabled) and sometimes I can take things too sensitively, however even my own mother felt she was way out of line, especially when she threatened to call security on me for simply asking her to show me one of the things causing us to leave the ties with the bank.

The problem with filing a lawsuit is in proving damages in a case like this. If your personal information was compromised due to some error on their part, they have to notify everyone who might have been affected, even if their information was not actually disclosed.
.
So if someone sent a file that contained 1000 former customer's names and personal information to an incorrect party, the bank has to send out 1000 letters like the one you received to notify them of the possible breach in their right to privacy.
.
They they will typically try to prevent the person from suffering any actual damages by doing something like they have done in giving you a free credit protection subscription..
.
If you have suffered actual damages, then you would have grounds to sue them due to the breach. But right now, you only have potential damages because nothing negative has actually happened yet. So courts aren't willing to compensate a plaintiff for speculative or possible damages, only actual damages. If this was an accident on their part and not some intentional act to cause you distress, then you wouldn't be able to recover punitive damages for any emotional distress that you have suffered.
.
BotXXXXX XXXXXne is that it is unlikely that you would be able to either get an attorney interested in the case or convince a judge or jury that you have suffered damages that would be compensible at this point.
.

I am sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs