Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I collect and deal in certain rare antiques. I recently had

I collect and deal in certain rare antiques. I recently had an occasion to deal with one of the larger auction houses (Bonhams) at their london office. I was going to bid online from the U.S.. One of their employees instructed me to submit a form for registration and list the items I would want to bid on I have all the emails and instructions). Being as it was a foreign auction i was not sure how they did things. I submitted the form and instead of simply registering me to bid, they followed with a $12000 invoice for those items as an "absentee bid". I told them it was a mistake, that I would not pay the invoice and I provided all the emails, their instructions to me, etc.. Now the head of Bonhams accounting in London has sent me a letter stating I can never participate in any Bonhams auctions worldwide. Is this legal? To ban a person after following their own directions?

M. Calderwood
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing information in this regard.

The answer is yes, it is legal - it may not be morally correct or ethical. But anyone can be barred from anything as long as it is not a discrimination factor that is causing them to be barred. So if Bonham's chooses not to have you as a customer, they may disqualify you. That would be their prerogative

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated