Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I went out of town for the month of october; before leaving

I went out of town for the month of october; before leaving I went to the post office and had my mail put on hold until I returned; yesterday my neighbor called me and said that the post office gave him my mail when he went to retrieve his mail; Is this legal for the post office to give anyone your mail without your consent? and could I sue the post office that mishandled my mail ?

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

It isn't illegal as in against a law but it is an error without a doubt and against their policies.

Dwayne B. :

There are a couple of problems with suing them based on this. While a lawsuit is possible in order to be effective you must have damages caused by their actions.

Customer:

Damages like what?

Dwayne B. :

I'm not saying you don't have damages, just that there are none set out in your facts and you would have to establish what the damages were. In addition, it is going to be hard to find an attorney to take the case because of the damages issue.

Dwayne B. :

I don;t know what kind of damages you could have had based on your facts.

Customer:

Emotional distress

Dwayne B. :

If, for instance, they gave him a package with something valuable in it and he sold it or broke it then that would be a damage.

Customer:

knowing that my neighbor knows my buisness

Customer:

okay what about a check that my school sent me and my neigbor got it ?

Dwayne B. :

Emotional distress can be a type of damages.

Dwayne B. :

If you are unable to recover the money then that would be an element of damages as well.

Customer:

Good because I am emotionally upset that my neighbor has my mail

Dwayne B. :

The first thing to do is report the issue to the proper section of the Post Office. Let me find that info for you.

Customer:

okay

Dwayne B. :

It is the Office of the Inspector General and you can make your report at http://www.uspsoig.gov/general/general-contact-information

Customer:

would you represent me ?

Dwayne B. :

After that you can start looking for an attorney.

Dwayne B. :

I'm sorry, but no experts on here are allowed to take cases that originate on the website. It's part of our agreement with the site and works to insure that you have full and correct answers.

Dwayne B. :

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Customer:

yeah that website does not give my a form to fill out

Dwayne B. :

No, it gives you the contact telephone numbers at the bottom.

Customer:

oh okay Thank You

Dwayne B. :

Also, there is a hotline number at http://www.uspsoig.gov/hotline

Dwayne B. :

I'll exit now to assist others.

Dwayne B. :

Best wishes to you on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work.

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR DWAYNE B” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.

Also, I’d ask you to consider issuing a high rating (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as that ensures I can continue to assist people in this category.