How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27010
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the spouse of a daughter who has had a suit filed against

This answer was rated:

I am the spouse of a daughter who has had a suit filed against her by her mother for a verbal loan she took(prior to our marriage in 2002) we were married in 2008 and I had no knowledge of this agreement (which her mother has only now decided she wants the balance of the $20K owed) I am not named in the suit and my wife and I rent our house and outside of our cars have no joint assets my question is how does this affect me since we live in a community property state(my wife has been advised to file bankrupcy)

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard

I suggest if it was acquired before the marriage and you had no interest in the funds, for instance your wife did not use that money to make a purchase that you also enjoyed, then it is still separate debt and that is why you are not named on the lawsuit.

Sam and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
the other part of my question was if they did not get satisfaction from my wife and her assets can they go after any of my wages etc since I live in a community property state?