Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.

I was in litigation involving a broken collar bone filed against

I was in litigation involving a broken collar bone filed against the city of Ferndale that was settled in April of this year. I signed the appropriate papers, sent them back to the attorney, but heard nothing further from my him although I called his office numerous times. I was called into his office two months ago for a dog attack case that is over two and a half years old and has not yet been filed. During that interview my attorney told me he had made a 'mistake' with the previous litigation and the judge dismissed the case. He told me he would "make it up to me". After numerous phone calls again I have finally heard from him regarding the present case asking me for more information. I feel that I cannot trust this man and would like to know what recourse I may have regarding the settled case and the recent one. I am a 70 year old retired woman living month to month on Social Security and am not able to pay attorney fees that may develop from this.

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Are you asking about what recourse you have against the attorney for his negligence in causing your case to be dismissed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Marcia,

I'll look into this for you and get back to you shortly.
Hello Marcia,

You have two primary recourses against the attorney, as follows:
1) You can sue the attorney for malpractice based on him failing to file your dog attack case and dropping the ball on the other case causing it to be dismissed. You could also sue for his failure to distribute the funds from your settlement in a timely manner, as he is required to do under law.
That said, it is difficult to get another attorney interested in taking a malpractice case against another. Although if you are able to find an attorney who would be willing to take the case, it is generally the type of case that would be taken on contingency, meaning that you would not have to pay anything upfront and would only have to compensate the attorney if you receive a settlement or a verdict in your favor.

You can look for an attorney at one of the websites here:

You can file a complaint with the Michigan bar for violations of the rules of professional conduct for the attorney not distributing settlement funds to you in a timely manner and for his negligence in failing to file suit on your case for two and a half years and causing it to be dismissed by the judge.

You could do so using the information available online here, filing a ‘request for investigation’:

One of the remedies they can provide is to order the attorney to pay you the settlement funds immediately, as well as to force him to repay attorney’s fees, etc. to you.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, PLEASE remember to rate my answer POSITIVELY (Excellent Service preferably) so I get credit for my work. I put significant time and effort into my answers, and DON’T receive anything for my work unless you rate my answer positively. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit. Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!