Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Im in a homeless shelter with my 2 maternal grand children

Im in a homeless shelter with my 2 maternal grand children and am being striped of my rights as a person! They control everything from doctors appointments down to holding my medication counting the amount every night is there anything I can do to regain my freedom? they call my Dr's with out asking the only help they give me is a news paper and I have to fill out 3 housing papers and they must contain 60 rentals a week they are more into my business then helping me find permanent housing I have chrones and colitis my immune is affected by crohns disease they my SSI 688.00 on top of what the state pays for us the amount is 7890.00 per month and ask why America has such a large deficit! I feel like because Im homeless they are taking away my freedom to top it off I have always kept all meds in a safe for child safety! any help? I would be grateful for!

thank you
Margaret xxxxx
Long Island NY

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

They do not have a right to get information from your doctors without you signing a written HIPAA release document, so if your doctors are giving them information, your doctors are in violation of HIPAA. You need to tell your doctors in writing they are not to give any information to the shelter if they call.

Legally, I am sorry to say that if you are residing in the shelter, you are bound by their terms, rules and conditions because you have no legal civil right to live in their shelter and the shelter is private property that is opened to provide a service and you have to abide by their terms and rules while staying there.

The only thing you can do to regain your freedom is look for another shelter that does not have so many restrictive rules, since this shelter's rules from what you are describing are more restrictive than many of the shelters I have heard about.

I am sorry to hear you are going through this, but legally these are the only options available to you sadly.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.