Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.

Hello, I received 6 checks as a settlement from a previous

I received 6 checks as a settlement from a previous tenant of mine (each one to be deposited once a month). The first 3 checks are made to 2013 and are OK. Then the last 3 checks even though are for Jan-Mar 2014 she made by mistake to 2013... is that a problem? Will I not be able to deposit them like that? (for Example: 1/13/13)

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

In general, no, this wouldn't be a problem and the banks would cash the checks, but, many banks at their own discretion will not cash checks dated longer than six months ago.

They are allowed to refuse to cash checks dated more than six months ago under the Uniform Commercial Code as well.

I'm afraid I cannot give you a more definitive answer than that. I would suggest that you try to deposit the checks, and if the bank refuses to honor them then contact the court or your previous tenant to get replacement checks.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, PLEASE remember to rate my answer POSITIVELY (Excellent Service preferably) so I get credit for my work. I put significant time and effort into my answers, and DON’T receive anything for my work unless you rate my answer positively. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit. Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

Hello Michelle,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service! It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question or you can ask a question directly to me through my URL here:

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,