Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Multi-state Commercial Motor Vehicle question: Is there a

Multi-state Commercial Motor Vehicle question:
Is there a way to find out what the CMV requirements are state by state of what they require on the truck? Example: Some states require a front and back license plate and some just require a front plate. What are the nuances of the requirements by state?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, specific state laws for CMV must be researched on a state by state basis and are not all in one location. Certain regulations, such as the one you mentioned about display of license plates, go by the law of the state where the vehicle is registered. For example, if registered in Louisiana it only requires one plate per state law, but if registered in Rhode Island, both plates are required. This does not mean you cannot operate the Louisiana registered vehicle with one plate in RI or any state requiring 2 plates.

Equipment laws, such as trailer requirements and safety equipment can vary slightly by state, but you have to look at each state's laws separately I am afraid.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.