Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

hello, again. thank you for your answers. I am trying to understand

Customer Question

hello, again. thank you for your answers. I am trying to understand a little bit more about the procedure. If they report to the US Attorneys office- would that be reported to the US attorne'y office in the state I live or in the state the bank is in?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Usually, where the bank is. The state where the alleged crime occurred is the appropriate venue for bringing a case. But there isn't any reason they couldn't press charges in the state where you live instead.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you. how can you find out if there is a warrant for your arrest? also, if the warrant is for the unpaid money- can you have the warrant released once show that you have paid back the bank

The U.S. marshal service should be able to tell you if there is a federal warrant for your arrest. If you're talking to them, though, you must be extremely careful not to make any statement of guilt or responsibility, or any other statement that could be used against you in court. It may be better to have a local criminal attorney do the legwork for you.

We don't have debtor's warrants in the U.S. - a warrant wouldn't be issued solely for owing money. It would only be issued if you were charged with committing a crime. So, paying the money might be something that could be used as a negotiation tool to have the charges dismissed (and a lawyer could handle this for you), but it doesn't automatically mean that they'd have to dismiss the warrant.