LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  7+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I signed up for personal Training at LA Fitness. Got too expensive/

I signed up for personal Training at LA Fitness. Got too expensive/ overcharged me. I tried Calling and canceling over the phone. The person who picked up was not very helpful at all, and told me that I singed a contract and that I am basically stuck. I have had the personal training for about 7 months now. What is the best way to get out of this contract?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. How long is the contract for? 1 year? Also, you said it became expensive and they over charged you. Did they ever correct the billing issue and did the rate which they charged per session change?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes 1 year. No they never corrected the billing issue. No I was charged per month and per week I used the trainer.

Eric, thank you for the additional information. The first thing you want to do is read over the terms and conditions of the contract and see if there is any clause stated within, that allows for cancellation. Often times, there are situations which arise, that allow it and it may be something that requires you to obtain a note from your doctor, about your inability to continue to train, for health/medical reasons. In addition, if they are charging you an amount that is different from the contract, they could be in breach and if they do not correct it and refund your money, you could have a legal basis to sue. If you bring this to their attention, they may be more inclined to let you out, since they could be subject to a lawsuit. If they correct everything as agreed, then you would want to speak with them about paying an early termination penalty, to get out of the contract. In addition, you want to speak with the manager and advise them of the financing hardship this is causing and that you can no longer afford it, based upon an unexpected change in circumstances. The contract itself would be legally binding but you need to really see if there is language in it or conditions that can be met, to legally cancel it, without having to pay any penalty or deal with a potential lawsuit.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience: 7+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.