LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  7+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Leased my apt. 3 yrs ago as a 2 bedroom. Landlord actually

Leased my apt. 3 yrs ago as a 2 bedroom. Landlord actually leased me an illegal 2 bedroom and when I went to the hempstead village building inspectors about a complaint on heating and vermin, they apprised me of the illegal 2 bedroom status and brought violations against him. How do I get rent reduced since he has been ordered to remove wall that made up 2nd bedroom and I will have a one bedroom
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. Are you a month to month tenant or is there still time left on the lease?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

new lease signed last month- good for two years. Was told by building inspectors after I signed that wall had to come down. I am in Nassau county ny in the town of hempstead.Paying 1395.00 a month same as when I leased it 3 yrs ago.Is that fair or right?

Thank you for the additional information. If the rental is no longer a 2 bedroom, as agreed upon in the lease agreement, then you and the landlord would need to renegotiate the terms and conditions of it. After all, you want a two bedroom and not a one bedroom and while the square footage is still the same, taking down the wall effects the use of the rental. Moreover, what the landlord had was illegal and had you known about this, would not have renewed the lease. As such, the decision to stay is up to you and what you should do, is try and find comparable rentals online and use those values to present the landlord with a new rental amount to pay each month. If the landlord is unwilling to accept that or you are not able to work out an agreement, it is possible to hold the landlord in breach of the lease, vacate and sue, based upon his fraud and misrepresentation. After all, he is offering a two bedroom and now it is only one and that conflicts with the lease agreement.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have not received the signed notarized lease yet! So if I bring it up before that is that considered month to month, until I get it

Yes. Until the lease is accepted by the landlord you would be considered a month to month tenant. In addition, the lease has terms that are different then what is present so you have a solid argument to make regarding it validity. After all, you were supposed to be renting a two bedroom and the landlord has only delivered a one bedroom. Moreover, the intended use of the property is no longer present since there is only one bedroom.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience: 7+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!