Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

Singapore Law: Can a person have a casual conversation outside

Customer Question

Singapore Law:

Can a person have a casual conversation outside of an office and secretly record it and submit the contents of that conversation to your job?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is Andrea and I will do my best to help, but need a bit more information, if you do not mind,

1. For what purpose would this be given to the employer ?

2. Did the employer ask you to record another employee,

Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not doing the recording.

I was worried that an off the record conversation i had with someone was secretly recorded. Nothing "illegal" was said or anything just voicing a dislike for a boss.

I worry it could be used to get me in trouble in the work place. I wonder if it is legally permissible to record what someone says (about coworkers) in a casual off the record setting.

Thank you for your additional information,

Singapore does not have any Statute which would make it illegal to record the conversation of another individual without his or her consent. But, Singapore follows UK Law on matters which it has no Statute. Under UK law it is only illegal to record another individual's conversation, if it is later used for commercial gain. Therefore, Singapore also holds that anyone can record anyone else without any fear of criminal prosecution. It is only illegal to record a person, if the recording is later used for commercial gain. Therefore, if someone was recording your conversation, they did not commit a criminal act under Singapore law. If that individual gives the recording to your employer, that could be interpreted as "using the recording for commercial gain", and this would make the act of recording you illegal,

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,