N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983

I intend to file a motion with the county court. It is a paper

I intend to file a motion with the county court. It is a paper motion however an item of evidence I have is an audio clip of testimony which I have copied onto a flash drive. I was wondering if I can include the flash drive with my paper motion when I file. I have searched all through the "Colorado Rules of Civil Procedure" and did not see any mention of the matter; next, I emailed the address for "forms help" which I found on the county court website, however the clerk turned out to be a state clerk, who directed me to the county court contact phone number. I called the county court and they just had a recording. What is the usual practice with including media? I know in the federal court a separate motion must be filed to include non-paper filings; however I read of nothing of the sort in the state civil code.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question.

The usual practice is to file a transcription of the recording as part of an affidavit in support of the motion, which attests that the transcription is accurate.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please let me know if this does not answer your question prior to rating my answer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Wow. This is more involved than I thought.

I have the audio recording of the hearing in question downloaded on my computer (ordered the CD from the court and copied it). I can easily cut out a portion of audio I want and save it onto a flash drive. Also I have the written transcript. The reason I want to use as evidence a snippet of the audio, is, not so much what was said, but the space of time which passed between a certain statement made by the judge, and the ensuing statement made by my lawyer. That pause is telling, and is what I want to capture. In this instance I don't know if a transcription would help me; or would it...

The transcript can read something like this:

THE COURT: "Blah blah blah."

[silence for xx minutes/seconds]

THE LAWYER: "Blah blah, yadda yadda yadda, Your Honor."
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience: since 1983
Thank you for the Excellent rating!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

HI again. I'm investigating more into transcription for audio.

Um...is it something that I can do myself, or, would it be better to have a professional service do it for me? Again, it's only about 15 seconds of audio I need transcribed; in fact it's just that one pause that I want to hone in on. Can I just write out something similar to what you had above /\ then have it notarized inside an affidavit, or, should I prefer to have a service do it for me then include their work product inside my own affidavit? Thanks.

You can do it either way.

I have used transcriptions by writing that it was prepared by me or under my direction and I then attest that it is an accurate transcription of the recording.

Or, someone else can prepare the transcription and make a similar affidavit.
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience: since 1983
Thank you for the Excellent rating!