Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

The group should be the injured party because the group leader

The group should be the injured party because the group leader was defamed. The group was also influenced by its reputation.

Thank you for your question and thank you most kindly for requesting me to assist you again.

My apologies but it does not work that way. If I make a comment about you, and mention that you are a member of Group Z, I defamed you and not the group. If I stated that all members of the group, including you and the group, act a certain way, then I just defamed both you and the group. But even still the group could only sue for claims against the group, not allegations against you--they were injured, and as you are a separate legal entity, the ability or choice to file for yourself is just that, your choice. The group cannot file for you, they can only file for themselves. The group is not you, and you are not the group. Same goes with group leader--he is a separate legal entity from the group, and claims are likewise separate.

Good luck.