Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
14472836

I was awarded a masters degree from an institution of higher

I was awarded a master's degree from an institution of higher learning that was based on a thesis that I later had reviewed by a professional editor. The document was quite deficient yet it was approved and signed by the university and a degree was awarded. Do I have a case against the university?

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

The crux of any lawsuit beyond the improper conduct of a defendant (breach of duty) is the damage or injury they caused you. Since you were awarded the degree you would have a hard time substantiating that you somehow suffered a detriment that could be translated into financial compensation. If your goal is to have the University revoke your degree then perhaps you have a case for that purpose under a breach of contract theory.

If the intent was to later publish the thesis you still have that ability after review by a professional editor. The University itself did not cause an improperly written thesis to be completed.

Secondly it may be difficult to establish that your thesis was so deficient as to warrant not awarding a degree. Grading and determining what is sufficient to grant the degree lies within the schools discretion. In most cases a Court will not involve itself in grading issues of school work.

If you can elaborate on how the University caused you some harm or damages it may be possible to raise an issue of negligence. Granting you a degree would on the surface indicate that you did not suffer any harm by their negligent review of your work.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you feel the rating is below 3 please respond and let me now how I can be more helpful. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This thesis as it is may prevent me from admission to my doctoral program that will impact my life in a significant manner. I do intend to report this and other deficiencies in the university to the Department of Education ombudsperson. That thesis was supposedly reviewed by three university officials and a degree was awarded under false pretenses as the thesis was never really reviewed and I was told that it was.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I attempted to send an email to the president of the college. Each time, her email address is doctored so the email does not go through. I have print screen images as evidence of the doctoring of my email. This is not the first time something like this has happened. Emails have been deleted from my inbox and sent items that were pertinent to issues that I raised.

Send a registered letter return receipt requested to the school. many executives have their administrative assistant review their mail and try to take action. There seems to be a reliance on email where sometimes regular mail can be more effective.As I stated earlier simply complaining about a past quality of work issue without some sort of demand for compensation does not help you. Try US mail and see if you get a greater response. At least you will have a record they signed for the document, and more importantly, who signed for the document.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).