Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
9200179

How do I legally change my name?

Customer Question

I am trying to get my name legally changed, how should I start? Should I hire somebody, use something like legalzoom or do it myself?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is Guillermo Senmartin and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

In what state do you live in? Are you a U.S. Citizen?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am a US resident and i live in Charlotte NC. I am not doing a marriage name change etc. I'm trying to get my name legally changed as well as my gender marker ( i know that is a bit more complicated process)

No problem, but "resident" doesn't mean Citizen. Are you a U.S. Citizen? If you are not, I will have a good solution for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes sorry, I am a US citizen

No need to be sorry. It's just that if you had not been, I would have recommending filing for U.S. Citizenship and then asking for a name change that way. It's like getting a 2 for 1. But no worries. Honestly, a name change is not that complicated nor expensive. I don't think you need to use legalzoom or a service to do it as long as you have a little time and patience and want to save some money. I want to try to find the correct forms for you with self-help. What county and city do you live in?

I am not sure why you are not responding, but I will still try to help you. You can and probably should do the name change yourself. Below is a link to the step by step process on how to change your name:

http://www.ncfcc.us/adult-name-change/

The process should be the same in very court in North Carolina including the courts in Charlotte.Unfortunately, the form for a name change which is AOC-SP-601 is not available for download.You may have to go to the courts in your city and request the form from the Clerk of the Court. If you have the time and patience and don’t have the money to burn, you should do it yourself.If you have the money to burn or to not have the time, then you should consider hiring an attorney.