Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

is international marriage federal or state validated. I and

is international marriage federal or state validated.
I and my fiance were marriad in Germay in church only. where in Gemany not valied. we are in usa. and we are not together. is our marriage valid ? do we need to get divorce? who validated international marriage ? is there a law about this matter. thanks

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The US recognizes and honors marriages (so long as the marriages do not violate US law) based on the laws in the originating country. Since you were never legally married in Germany based on German law, you are not married in the US either. To be legally married you have to provide a certificate from the originating nation to prove that the marriage was valid. If it was not, there is no need for a divorce as there is no marriage to divorce from. On a federal level the marriage is not valid.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is there write law about this matter. I need to prevent it to court

This would not be US law, you would need to find the German law showing and stating that a religious ceremony is not sufficient locally for you to be considered married. Then local courts would also then honor the fact you are not legally married--this isn't a US law situation, you would need to find that German law and bring it to US courts as a basis for your request.

Hope that helps!