Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.

My daughter who is 17 was part of her college newspapers story

My daughter who is 17 was part of her college newspapers story on body image. The students posed nude with their personal parts strategically covered. She signed a contract. I never saw it. I am furious with this paper and the negligence of this college. The newspaper has been already circulated and there is an online version as we speak with my daughter half nude.
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.

Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to discussing this and providing information in this regard.

Have you discussed this with anyone at the college? What was the result?

Have you discussed this with your daughter? What are her after thoughts?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Have you discussed this with anyone at the college? No. I sent an email to the editor asking them to contact me regarding an urgent matter.

Have you discussed this with your daughter?No she is hundred of miles away and just called me between classes to tell me what she had done.

She was thrilled. I was in shock.

What are her after thoughts? She will probably be very upset that I'm upset at the college for doing this.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hello?

Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.
Hello

I suggest that you contact the Dean of Students as soon as possible and explain that your daughter is a minor and such dissemination of such photos constitutes child pornography.

I suggest that criminal charges could be filed against the college or the paper editor for allowing her to be in the story.

I further suggest that if you are so inclined you should consult with a local attorney to discuss a possible lawsuit against the college for the explortation of a minor student.

I suggest that such an attorney may consider taking the matter on a contingency basis. They would have to evaluate the extent of your "damages" which means that you would have to show that her/your reputation has been harmed by the publication.

The biggest concern I see are the criminal charges for the publication of the photos of your minor child.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Wasnt the contract she signed which I never saw void since she is 17?

Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.
Hello

Absolutely. She is a minor. I suggest the college may not realize she is only 17. It will be interesting to see what the details of the contract say.

For instance "I am of at least 18 years of age" I would bet it does not say that.

And yes, her contract is not valid.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Do you agree this was horribly irresponsible of the college newspaper? I want the digital shots destroyed. I dont have any control as to who is seeing them for photoshopping purposes or anything. My right as a parent was taken away.

This is tricky because my daughter is a freshman and my making a stink about this would probably embarrass her.

Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.
Hello

I fully understand your position. And I would be the same way.

You have cause to request the images be taken down from the website and the images destroyed, yes. I suggest you can certainly make that demand.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

But the printed version has already been disseminated across three huge campuses that make up a 3 college compact since they are so close to each other. All of the students on three campuses share the library and eat in each others cafeterias. Thats how interconnected they are.

I didnt know to start with the Dean of Students. Thank you.

How do you prove "damages"? The story was about body image and body health.

Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.
Hello

I understand that it has already been pubished and distributed.

You will need to be able to show that because she is minor and not able to make these decisions on her own that it would reflect poorly on her future with possible interference of a career or obtaiining a job. That it was a reckless and negligent decision on part of the Editor and the school because she is not of legal age to be posing nude.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

True...the final full body shot may have some graphics covering her privates but who knows how many men were in the studio choosing the best shots etc.

Well thanks for your help. Id appreciate any parting advice.

Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.
Hello

And it does not matter. Even if she is semi nude, unless she is clothed because she is a minor it could be considered pornography.
Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.