Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

If you are being served papers for a court evaluation on a

If you are being served papers for a court evaluation on a foreclosure, for monies owed after an appraisal came back lower than what was owed, can they just leave the papers with just anyone or do they have to serve me, they left mine with one of my tenants...?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer your question directly, service does not necessarily require that you be served personally. Anyone who resided on your premises who is of legal age and can act on your behalf can be served. If you claim on papers that you reside in a single residency unit, they can leave the paperwork with the tenant on the basis that the tenant can provide you with the paperwork as you will be in contact. Similarly other parties such as your spouse, your children if 18 or older, or your attorney or even your boss (if served at work) can all be considered legal and proper service in this instance.

I am sorry!