Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

A nursing home is trying to get my brother and I to pay $19,000

A nursing home is trying to get my brother and I to pay $19,000 after my brothers death at the nursing home. Are we responsible for the bill?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
No, the only way that the nursing home could hold anyone liable would be if you had signed something guaranteeing payment and to be personally liable for the debt. If no one did so, then the nursing home and any other creditor could only come after his estate for any debts. If there are no assets in his estate, then the creditors just take a loss.
.
So if you didn't sign anything agreeing to be liable for the debt, you can't be forced to pay it.
.
.
Thanks

Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do everything I can to help or get you to someone who can.

.