Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I have been on total disability since july1989. I had aprivate

I have been on total disability since july1989. I had aprivate disability policy I paid for. the benefit was to protect my income until retirement. the policy benefit stopped at age 65. thelaw has sinced changed for my age group. I cant retire until age 66. so my income from the insurance co. st pped in july of this year. did the government make any requirements on insurance companys to adjust the time of benefit payout to compensate for the retirement age? obviously I am losing a years income.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Sadly, the government does not have any statute that would have mandated these long term care insurers to alter their policy terms, which are the binding contact between the insurance company and insured. Any changes in terms of an insurance policy plan description would have to be something negotiated between the insurance company and insured prior to you turning 65 and the plan terminating I am afraid.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.