Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.

I was wrongfully terminated by "best buy" and called the HR

I was wrongfully terminated by "best buy" and called the HR department who opened up a pier review. After a third party human resource department from another state reviewed the information, I was contacted and told that I was wrongfully terminated and that my termination is being reversed. I am being reinstated as of today and I was emailed a form to sign and submit with terms and conditions. The form states "in exchange for my return to work, i agree to release best buy from all claims or damages arising from the acts, incident or occurrences that were raised in my appeal".

I was told I need to sign and return this form today for reinstatement, however I am concerned if something else is to happen that I won't be able to address the fact that I was wrongfully terminated once already.

The document does not look like it is official. It looks like a simple letter written to me and it doesn't require notarization or a witness' signature.

Should I sign this, and if I don't can they choose not to overturn my termination?
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

If you do not sign the letter, they do not have to reinstate you even though they admit that it is a wrongful termination.

And if you sue for wrongful termination, there is no guarantee you would get any type of settlement that would allow you to not have to be employed again. Or that you would even be able to find a local attorney to take your case.

So you can sign and get your job back - and if you feel you want to add an addendum to it you can note that you will sign it, but that it is without prejudice toward any other actions that might arise as a result of this wrongful termination.

Or you can choose not to sign and then consult with a local attorney to see if you can find one who will handle the matter on a contingency based on whatever settlement you might get if you win

In other words, the morale of this story is "a bird in the hand is worth too in the bush" Or Will the juice from the lawsuit be worth the squeeze

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.
Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.