Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

i had a child support hearing,..and my daughters mother perjured

i had a child support hearing,..and my daughters mother perjured herself under oath,..is their and way i can get her prosecuted in nyc
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation.

The answer is maybe.

Section 210 of the New York Penal Code defines the act of swearing falsely (perjury) as occurring when a person makes a false statement which he or she does not believe to be true while either giving testimony or under oath in a subscribed written instrument (such as an affidavit or deposition).

Degrees of perjury range from A misdemeanor to class D felony. It would be up to the prosecutor to decide what to charge the individual with, and if to charge them.

Now, one can file a criminal complaint and perhaps the prosecutor will pick it up.

A more sure way of having them be held responsible for their act is to ask the court to sanction them for perjury and/or hold them in contempt. The Family Court has discretion here, and may admonish, fine, and/or imprison them. This request may be made in a subsequent hearing, or, via its own motion for sanction/contempt.

Both the criminal aspect and the civil contempt/sanctions aspect may be pursued here.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.